My name is Clarice, but most people, call me ReCe. I'm a happily married USAF spouse, mother to 3 girls, and an older sister to many....Here is my blog and here are some of my candy filled thoughts, lol

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Banana Bread On A Rainy Day....








No Sugar - Banana - Apple - Bread -Excellent 

No Sugar B.A.B.E.

Hmmm....There was a national publication media blast that went out the other day and they are looking for low sugar or no sugar added recipes. The wheels started turning in my head and I thought about those old ripe bananas I got laying around wondered what a little bit of unsweetened applesauce can do for an old favorite of mine.

To make something truly sugar free, I'm going to have to rely on REALLY RIPE, squishy & darn near black bananas...the kind where fruit flies have to be shooed away from them, is just right in my book!

P.S. Genaurdi's sell a bag of really ripe, almost black bananas for pennies an ounce, so check to see if your local grocery store has that same deal too, if you don't have any lying around. 

Disclaimer: I hope there are no fruit flies hovering over your fruit basket:)



Applesauce/Banana Bread

Ingredients:
4 REALLY RIPE squishy bananas (I've found using the ones I had in the freezer made it extra moist) 
½ cup of unsweetened applesauce (eliminates the need for oil!)
1/4 cup of Almond Milk (or whichever milk you prefer)
2 eggs
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour, traditional or white whole wheat
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan. In a large bowl, slice the bananas and use an electric mixer to mash. Add the applesauce, vanilla extract, eggs and blend. Let mixture stand for 15 minutes. In another bowl, blend all the dry ingredients. Then mix in the dry with the wet ingredients. Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand again for 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.









No comments:

Post a Comment