My name is Clarice, but most people, call me ReCe. I'm a happily married USAF spouse, mother to 3 girls, and an older sister to many....Here is my blog and here are some of my candy filled thoughts, lol

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Interview w/2012 Kindle Book Review Best Indie Book Award Finalist, G.M. Frazier!


G.M. Frazier is the author of A Death on the Wolf, a 2012 Kindle Book Review Best Indie Book Award finalist.  A Death on the Wolf, is an interesting story of how sixteen year old Nelson Gody's 1969 summer experience in Mississippi changes his life. A story that deals with first loves, homosexuality, and even shooting someone on the very first page! I'm happy to say, G.M. Frazier, was able to take some time out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions for me.



What inspired the creation of the character Nelson Gody in your book?

I don’t start off a story with a fully developed main character.  Typically, all my characters develop as the story unfolds.  Hence, I may be 20,000 words into the story before I have to go back and flesh out substantial portions of earlier chapters because of the way the main character or other characters have developed.  As with every novel I’ve written, A Death on the Wolf started with just the snippet of a scene in my head: A teenage boy struggling with a grown man on the banks of a river and the boy winds up shooting the man.  The development of the plot and the character of Nelson Gody began the minute I started asking: “Who is this boy?  How did he wind up on that riverbank with that man?  Who is the man?  Why are they fighting?”  The inspiration for Nelson’s character came in the answering of those questions rather than from a preconceived notion of who Nelson was.

Your story takes place in the summer of 1969.  Based on the current events of today, how do you think views have changed towards homosexuality?

The obvious answer to that question is that homosexuality is much more openly accepted as a legitimate lifestyle than it was in 1960s.  In 1969, homosexuality was listed as a psychological disorder in the DSM.  But you have to remember that my novel is not just set in 1969, it’s set in rural Mississippi and told from the perspective of a teenager who had grown up in the relative isolation of that setting.  Nelson’s own words are best used to describe the perspectives on homosexuality that were prevalent for him in that cultural milieu: “This was southern Mississippi, not California or New York or any of the other places where we assumed ‘alternative lifestyles’ were tolerated or even openly accepted.  The extent to which homosexuality was even acknowledged among my peers was to use the terms and behaviors associated with it as degrading predicatives while hurling what we perceived to be humorous insults at each other.”  When Nelson learns that his best friend is gay, he is forced to come to grips with just what friendship means to him in the face of an intolerant society.

I understand that you used to be an editor at Genesis Press.  Does that make editing your own work easier or more difficult?

I still do freelance editing and I’m one of the writers associated with the Open Door Critique Program offered through the Hub City Writer’s Project.  I don’t know if my editing experience is what helps me be able to edit my own work, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.  Some writers are able to do it, others aren’t.  Anne Rice has stated in interviews that she essentially does her own editing and when she submits a manuscript it’s done.  John Updike was described as a “self-cleaning oven” by his editor because of his ability to self-edit.

How do you find time to balance your work life, personal life, and writing life?

It’s not easy.  Because of my law practice, and trying to finish up editing a sci-fi novel for a local author, the writing of my next novel (The Taking of Trevor Ward) has been on hold for nearly two months.  I’m about to finish up the editing job, and even though I’ve got another to start, I plan to get back to my own writing in the next couple of weeks and get that novel finished.

How would you advise teenage boys of today who might be dealing with some of the problems Nelson had to deal with in this book?


One of the reasons Nelson is able to weather the many conflicts that confront him during the summer of 1969 is because of the way he was raised, the love of his family, and the role model he has in his father.  It’s unfortunate that so many teenage boys of today don’t have any of this to draw on for strength and guidance.  Nevertheless, my advice would be to remember that friendship and commitment are not abstract concepts, and how you define them, defines you.  Recognize that, to become a responsible adult, requires input from others who have learned from their experiences, and traveled the same road you’re on now.  If you don’t have a father, uncle or older brother who is a good mentor and role model, then find one.  Find a church and get involved in the youth group.  See if your town has a Big Brother program and go to them for help.

Me: Great advice! Good luck in reaching all your goals and thank you for your time. Please check out this 2012 Kindle Book Review Best Indie Book Award finalist!

G.M. Frazier has been writing fiction for the last twenty years, with a talent that spans across multiple genres ranging from supernatural to this intriguing drama of A Death on the Wolf. To learn more about this talented author, please visit his websites at his Official Website of G.M. Frazier or on his G.M. Frazier's Facebook Page.

                                                                      
Join G.M. Frazier and 9 other award-winning authors in the
BEST INDIE BOOK FESTIVAL,
Featuring 10 Literary Fiction & Thriller Titles!
TWO DAYS ONLY!
Tues. Sept. 18-Wed., Sept. 19th.

10 Award winning books and SEVERAL chances to win a
$10, $20, or $50 Amazon gift card
(3 lucky WINNERS will be chosen!)

Click the image below for details






World Literary Cafe- Best Indie Book

21 comments:

  1. Incisive interview, Rece and G.M. Very enjoyable. With great anticipation, I look forward to reading A Death on the Wolf. Thank you for providing such insightful questions and answers. Regards, Craig O. Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jersey girl. Wow, what a vivacious and colorful woman you are, Clarice! Your header graphic is fabulous, but it looks so very different than your conservative Facebook photo ;)

    Much kudos to you for having finished reading A Death on the Wolf prior to conducting the interview. Your knowledge of the book shines through beautifully and helped shape the questions.

    Thoroughly enjoyed how G.M. Frazier answered the question of homosexuality from the perspective of the main character of the book. All makes sense.

    You've captured the spirit of the book and the author so well, Clarice! Great to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An AirForce gal did the graphic for me! http://creativedesignsbymerr.blogspot.com/
      She's pretty good at what she does :) Thanks for the compliments. All of us on Melissa's team is making it happen!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting interview! I love how G.M. developed the story and characters from the scene of the boy struggling with the grown man. Thanks for sharing...I will definitely be adding 'A Death on the Wolf' to my to-read shelf! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary, every time I read about your book it makes me want to read it even more. I am drawn into the subject and themes of the book and will begin reading it this weekend. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what an amazing interview, and I really have to go out and read G.M's Book, I really enjoyed the questions about how G.M. keeps a balance with his work, personal and Writing life! Kudos!


    Syl Stein

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comments! The author even gave me an editing lesson while doing the interview. Matter of fact I had to fix one just now lol. It was great to interact with him and I hope to do more interviews soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview Clarice. Enjoyed this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rece! Loved your interview with G.M.! Great questions. I'm so impressed by the way he said he developed this story. I really enjoy finding out the different experiences that authors have in coming up with their main story line.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sitting for a bit! Come back soon! :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you, everyone, for the kind words. And a special thanks to Clarice for doing the interview. I thought her questions were great and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for doing this interview! I really enjoyed it as well. Good Luck with the book award!

      Delete
  10. Hi Rece - fantastic interview of G.M. Frazier.
    My particular favourite was the scene he had of the boy struggling on a riverbank with a man and ending up shooting him. This image in itself if powerful and begs you to ask those questions; who are they? what are they doing? where are they and what happened?
    I think it is a wonderful tool to use for writer's block; come up with a scene and then ask who what when where why how.
    I loved this and can't wait to read the book so I can find out what happened!
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have these visions or flashes before I start to write too! I think we all have that story inside us, waiting to get out. Thanks for stopping by the blog. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Rece! Another Jersey Girl here. :)
    Great interview!
    I love how G.M.'s inspiration came from a scene. Looking forward to reading this novel.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, you're a Jersey Girl too! Ha-ha! We got to find some time to chat, drink coffee, read, or something! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete