My name is Clarice, but most people, call me ReCe. I'm a happily married USAF spouse, mother to 3 girls, and an older sister to many....Here is my blog and here are some of my candy filled thoughts, lol

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Do You Think The Microwave Is Healthy To Use?


Have you heard that microwaves causes cancer?!

How about that microwaves emits radioactive waves which can cause you to get ill or may turn you into "Radio Active Man! or Woman!"

Or for the Preggos out that there, that pregnant women should stay away from microwaves?

I think this is freaky....that you can change a food's DNA and/or lose most or all of the food's nutritional value when you use the microwave.

It even gets scientific and a plant dies in the process!!!

In one experiment, two plants were watered with two different types. One with microwaved water and the other with regular water. The end conclusion is that the plant watered with microwaved water died after days of contact.

Snopes busted that story here: http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

I've been hearing so much controversy about using the microwave, and I think it's poppycock!

Unless you're taking a part of your body and placing it in the microwave or leaving the door open and pressing 'Start' I don't see any harm in it...Or at least no greater harm than cooking on a gas or electric stove. Each appliance you cook with comes with its own set of precautions and I urge you exercise them completely!

Now are you ready to cook a nice, healthy, and wholesome dinner in the microwave?

Great!

Liking that picture above and want to know what it's all about? Read below :)

I used Glad Steam Microwave Bags to steam some Tilapia (with garlic, olive oil, butter, 2 slices of lemon (lemon juice is cool too) and parsley).

Brussels Sprouts got tossed around a bag with cracked pepper, 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance butter, sea salt, 2 tablespoons of water, and 1 tablespoon of rice flour.

Lastly, I diced up one sweet potato, dried apricots, and some craisins with 1 tablespoon of nutmeg, splash of vanilla, 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance butter, 1 tablespoon of organic brown sugar, and started dancing while singing shake, shake, shake!

All items took less than 9 minutes in the microwave. My frozen Tilapia took 7 minutes, the Brussel Sprouts took 6 minutes and the Sweet Potatoes, 9 minutes.

Your cooking times may vary.

Want to read up more on microwaves and the myths vs. facts?

Check out this link:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/microwave-radiation-ovens-460709

Tell me what you think about using microwaves?

What's your favorite thing to prepare?

I'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

  1. I live in a cabin in Alaska and am always trying to make less of a mess. The microwave is totally fine to use and I love how I can use the Glad bags too! ANYTHING to make my life easier and not have to heat water to clean yet another pan without the use of running water. I have used microwave save disposables to steam rice! LOVE LOVE LOVE my microwave *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine too! Although, I can't wait until that Star Trek technology comes about and all we have to do is press a button and have a meal!

      Delete